Our club rides are a great way to improve your riding and get to know the rest of the members, we don't leave people behind and you'll find people friendly. There are a variety of rides from intro rides for those starting out, to long hilly rides for fitter riders. Pick one that suits your level of fitness and come along.
If it is your first ride and you're not sure what level you are, try an intro ride first, mention to someone that you are new and we will watch out for you. Make sure your bike is well maintained, you are able to ride the distance and be safe on the road. If you are new to riding with a club, there are some important guidelines below:
- Always ride safely and obey the rules of the road.
- Respect your club mates and other road users.
- Club rides are not races and you shouldn't treat them like one!
- Ride no more than two abreast except when overtaking.
- Be aware of riders around you and try to ride smoothly and consistently.
- Point out obstancles in the road such as potholes and parked cars.
- If someone has a mechanical or is being left behind you should wait for them.
- Try not to react aggresively to any negativity from drivers when on a club ride - you are representing the club and may put the rest of the group in danger.
What to take
- Drink and food or money
- Spare inner tubes
- A tool to fix a broken chain can be useful but not essential
Other than that just stay safe and alert and enjoy! If you find the ride too slow for you, you can always go on a faster ride next time. If it is too fast, tell whoever is leading the ride so that they can either slow the pace down or check that you are ok getting back. It is always worth taking a map in case you want to make your own way home.